Thursday, October 25, 2007

In which the pants wear me (out)



Why do I feel like we've used that one before? Anyway, it's on topic.

Today I tried to buy clothes. In some repects, I was successful. I have sweaters now, none of which are grey. (You know how hard that is for me.) I have two pair of cords, which do not need to be ironed yet can be worn to work. And I have four new long sleeve t-shirts from Target and it turned out they were on sale.

What I do not have is any clear indication of what my size is. During the sweater phase of the day I tried on larges where I could clearly see the outline of my nipples and smalls where it was impossible to tell I had breasts at all. The cords I ended up buying are a size smaller than my usual and two sizes smaller than I was just a few years ago. And when I tried on jeans I took a 4 into the dressing room for shits and giggles, pulled them up, zipped and buttoned them.

Buttoned!

Granted, they were so tight if I had bent over ass cheek would have sprung out through the back seams and yelled "Ta da!" Still, buttoned is buttoned.

The thing is, I am not any smaller than I used to be. In fact, I weigh more. I try on my old clothes and they haven't gotten any looser. So my old problem with shopping was that nothing fit right and it all came in weird colors. Now I get to play a horrible guessing game where everytime I look away, all the pants get larger and larger until the size 0s will fit around a Volvo.

I pray to God the unders I grabbed even stay up. And I don't know what girls smaller than me are doing. I guess they'll have to shop in the kids department. Is this what happened in Japan? Is this why 30 year old Japanese women wear Hello Kitty backpacks?

So, that is my shopping rant. Hopefully, I won't have to go again for a long time. Probably, by then I'll have to get pants in negative sizes. Or maybe there won't be any pants. Maybe we'll all wrap ourselves in sheets and walk around like that.

Oh God. They got to Ancient Greece, too.

-Jenny

2 comments:

Alison said...

That's bizarre. But clothes fit so weird anyway. It all depends on the store and the material and style of the garment and such. But that's still freaking sweet.

Stepho said...

I tried to buy underwear the other day, you know, the sort of generic size five white cotton kind? They come up to the middle of my back, and the front blouses out in front. I think maybe they are panties cut for a man to wear? You know, with a little extra room in front?